MY JOURNAL FOR FRIDAY – September 9, 2022
NEWS, BREAKOUTS, MOMENTUM PLAYS & BOTTOMS
The Canadian Technician
Is Crypto Finally Moving Higher?
Greg Schnell | September 09, 2022 at 01:40 PM
Crypto has been Kryponite for investors since November 2021. The holders (HODL – Hold On for Dear Life) have been hammered. Recently crypto has started to behave better including going sideways while the stock market pulled back in late August.
The daily version has a yellow background, the weekly has a graphite background.
Bitcoin is the most common chart. On Friday the chart fired off like a rocket heading higher, breaking the smooth downtrend it was building.
A few bullish things I see on the chart.
- The relative strength to the $SPX (RS) is breaking the downtrend.
- On a wider scale, this is also a double bottom location with the June/July lows.
- The PPO is making a significantly higher low than the June low.
Going to the weekly chart, Bitcoin has a few things I like to see as well but they haven’t flipped a signal yet.
- The Purple RS is close to breaking the downtrend
- The full stochastic looks like a higher low and is trying to move above the 20% line and the signal line.
- The PPO shows the momentum hitting a high in February 2021. Can it break out of the PPO downtrend?
Ethereum has a few of the same clues forming.
- The RS has been trending higher since July.
- Price broke the downtrend a week ago
- Price is making a much higher low whereas Bitcoin was making a double bottom.
- Price has a series of higher lows
- The PPO has a much higher low than the June low and is almost in positive territory.
The Ethereum Weekly chart is also improving.
- The RS line is breaking out!
- The full stochastic is restarting a move above 50% which is very bullish on a weekly chart.
- Price is making a 3-week high
- The 10-week moving average is looking like support here.
- The PPO downtrend is close to breaking
- The PPO is already on a buy signal!
If we are looking for a turning point, these charts look to be ready. It’s been a tough drop off the highs, but the opportunity might be here for the next wave higher.
I’ll be hosting a presentation on September 20th at 1 PM ET. The purpose of the presentation is to explain more about the Osprey Strategies approach to the market. Follow this link to register – Osprey Strategies
Join me, I think we’ll have a lot of fun and I am sure you’ll pick up a few clues to how we control downside risk!
Greg Schnell, CMT, MFTA
Welcome to Osprey Strategic
Nearly a Decade of Experience in the Financial Markets
Greg Schnell, CMT, MFTA, is a Senior Technical Analyst at StockCharts.com specializing in intermarket and commodities analysis. He is also the co-author of Stock Charts For Dummies (Wiley, 2018). Based in Calgary, Greg is a board member of the Canadian Society of Technical Analysts (CSTA) and recent winner of the CSTA’s Technical Analyst of the Year. He is an active member of both the CMT Association and the International Federation of Technical Analysts.
Explore Greg Schnell Special Pricing Save $363.00! – LEARN MORE
BREAKOUTS, MOMENTUM PLAYS, & BOTTOMS
ALS.TO – Altius Minerals Corp.
ATD.TO – Alimentation Couche-Tard, Inc.
DIV.TO – Diversified Royalty Corp.
GFL.TO – GFL Environmental Inc
GSY.TO – goeasy Ltd.
IAG.TO – Industrial-Alliance Life Insurance Co.
STN.TO – Stantec, Inc.
TIXT.TO – TELUS International Inc.
WSP.TO – WSP Global Inc.
MOMENTUM ALERT SIGNALS
A month ago, the Nasdaq Chart was in the bottom right corner. Tech layoffs were being announced, and the CEO/CFO/CIO teams were preparing for a terrible 2023. A month later, the market looks almost silly, …
The market has had a strong start to 2023 and numerous indicators have broken out above bear market levels. Greg walks through some of those charts that he shares with clients. The PLUMB system created …
MY JOURNAL FOR FRIDAY – JANUARY 13, 2023 NEWS, BREAKOUTS, MOMENTUM PLAYS & BOTTOMS Trend following, risk management & long term survival w/ Jon Boorman (stock trader) EP 043: Buying stocks in uptrends, managing risk, …
The main focus of the SetYourStop Slack workspace is the momentum scanner that was developed to trace abnormal volatility in the Canadian equity market.
Our proprietary momentum scan system searches for abnormal volatility which flags the urgency of buyers. It was designed to signal the potential of momentum coming into an underlying name or sector. The charts issued are to be used as indicators only, not a trigger to buy or sell.– Disclaimer
Once a chart is received, systematic rules are to be used, implemented by the individual (SetYourStop nor ospreystrategic.org holds No Responsibility for one’s actions as the charts given on SetYourStop and ospreystrategic.org are to be used as indicators only and not a trigger to buy or sell) to define and manage risk. Stop-loss orders are an important tool to negate any false signal. The goal is to let winners run while using trailing stop-loss orders to preserve gains.
Let Us Do Your Homework (With Full Website Access):
- Weekly GregSchnell newsletter that will feature his top ten charts of the week.
- Weekly GregSchnell video which summarizes the major moves in the global markets.
- Vital GregSchnell that can be quickly look through with his top 30 charts at any given time.
- GregSchnell Monthly conference call that is recorded and saved.
- The Daily Setup watchlist of stocks that are signaling the potential of upside momentum.
- The daily SetYourStop blog (News, Breakouts, Momentum Plays and Bottoms).
- The SetYourStop Workspace.
- Much more!
THIS IS NOT A STOCK PICKING SERVICE. THE WORKSPACE HAS BECOME MORE LIKE A COFFEE SHOP OF CLOSE FRIENDS SHARING IDEAS.
Most Traders Tend to Overthink. It’s Time to Remove Noise, Remove Emotion, & Learn How to Define Your Risk. Become a Robot!
Definition: Systematic trading (also known as mechanical trading) is a way of defining trade goals, risk controls and rules that can make trading decisions in a methodical way.
Whether you’re a trend follower, swing trader or penny scalper, the SetYourStop workspace will provide you with trading ideas.
We discuss charts showing the potential of momentum as they appear on our radar with the goal of becoming the most interactive community in Canada.
Join the SetYourStop crew in the Slack workspace today.
The workspace is an exclusive interactive live community of traders ranging from beginners with small portfolios to seasoned veterans placing large bets. It’s an ongoing source of trading ideas and market dialogue mixed with education. The SetYourStop crew regularly joins the conversation to give feedback and share our trading ideas with the community.
Please read before subscribing: I’m Not Your Guru
Access the Workspace
Choose the Subscription Plan that works for you:
30 Day Trial
Only $7 USD
Our monthly plan is just that, a no-term and no-commitment subscription with flexibility and all the benefits.
Subscribe to our quarterly plan, pay once and enjoy all the benefits our membership offers
for 90 days.
Save money while experiencing the full benefit of our membership for 365 days of unbeatable content.